Subject: bug#52908: 'tests/guix-system.sh' fails on aarch64-linux

From: Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:43:27 -0700

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 7:15 PM Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Aiko's patch would indeed fix the failing test.  Thank you, Aiko, for
> taking the initiative to help investigate and solve the issue!  However,
> even though that patch would fix the test, anyone who is using
> set-xorg-configuration on a non-x86_64 system would still need to change
> the way they call it, which is not ideal.
>
> I've attached a different patch that attempts to fix the issue without
> requiring callers of set-xorg-configuration to update their code.  I
> believe this is more consistent with the intent of Ludo's original
> change in commit 49599fab564f203b8e92d32e9b28c99e99849bfb.
>
> You'll notice that this patch moves the (gnu services sddm) code into
> (gnu services xorg) and deprecates (gnu services sddm).  I did this in
> order to avoid a circular dependency between the two modules.  Perhaps
> there's a better way.  However, many of the existing display managers
> already live in (gnu services xorg), so it seemed reasonable to me.
>

I originally tried to implement this patch, but as a relative newcomer
to guix and guile scheme, I went for the easier patch of changing the
tests since I wasn't sure which would be the preferred way to fix this
issue. I'll defer to you and Leo for that judgment!

> I've verified that the tests/guix-system.sh test passes on
> powerpc64le-linux after applying this patch to current master branch (on
> top of commit 9309b488ca4ceef4fcc9283546e3b05c57b16ca8).  I've also
> verified that the deprecation warnings are being emitted, and that the
> existing bindings in (gnu services sddm) are still usable, at the REPL:
>

Commit 9309b48 seems to be a week old and I can't seem to apply this
patch on top of the latest commit on master e6fe4e5819.