Subject: Re: bug#52906: python-biopython conflicts with python-numpy

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 13:43:13 +0100

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 at 11:18, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Back then we reverted to numpy 1.20.x as the default because of numba,
>> which did not work with 1.21.  I’m now upgrading numba (and llvmlite) to
>> a more recent release candidate, which should bring compatibility with
>> numpy 1.21.
>>
>> If that works we’ll make python-numpy-next the new python-numpy.
>
> I think that it could nice to have "python-numpy-next".  Now, because
> we are right after a core-updates, the last Numpy version and the one
> we use as scientific Python stack are really close.  But it will not
> necessary the case between 2 core-updates merges.  Well, my point is
> to have the core-updates package python-numpy used by all the
> scientific Python stack and the leaf package python-numpy-next where
> updates can happen on master, it can be used with transformations
> etc., especially by scientific Python developper.

Yes, it’s a good idea to have it anyway.

I just realized that switching over to the new numpy is going to cause
more than a 1000 rebuilds.  So I’ll apply your patch on the master
branch and build out the numpy upgrade on a separate branch.

Thank you!

-- 
Ricardo