Subject: Re: bug#52905: 29.0.50; "fixed-pitch" face doesn't respect the font in "default-frame-alist"

From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 11:07:50 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Is using the default-frame-alist to set the default font still our
>> recommended best practice? Is that what you do?
>
> Yes and yes.  It's just that you seem to interpret "the default font"
> differently from what it was supposed to mean.  It means the font of
> the default face.  Any face that doesn't specify a font or some font
> attribute will use the same font, but faces that do specify those
> attributes can (and usually do) select other fonts.  To affect the
> font of the faces which specify font attributes, you need to customize
> those faces separately from the default face and default-frame-alist.

Hi. Let's talk about this part first. Clearly the manual says what you
describe, and I clearly see how it came to be this way. It makes perfect
sense from the viewpoint of the dev that wrote the logic and the docs.

As a user, this doesn't feel right to me, though. Can we talk about
that? Then we can agree on what, if anything, needs fixing.

Do you use org? Are you seeing a different fonts in the body of the
document compared to the #+begin_... lines? If so, does this bug you?
The org devs said

  #+begin_... lines should be rendered with the fixed-pitch face font

I suspect that what they MEANT was

  #+begin_... lines should be rendered with a fixed pitch font

I suspect this because that's what I would have meant if I wrote it. IF
this is what was intended and IF the default font had a fixed pitch,
then I think it makes sense for emacs to use the default font here.

If you're seeing the two different fonts, and you think that's fine,
then I'll just fix this in my .emacs, and we can be done.

Thanks.