Subject: Re: bug#52897: [PATCH] doc: Add instructions on upgrading the build daemon with doas.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 14:27:47 -0400

Hello,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 at 23:49, Morgan Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I've explicitly removed sudo from my machine as supposedly sudo is a
>> large complex codebase that likely has bugs (although that's probably
>> just openBSD propaganda).
>
> Guix documentation uniquely relies on ’sudo’.  And for instance, I was
> not aware of such propaganda. :-)
>
> Well, I do not have an opinion, but AFAIK, Guix does not work on the top
> of OpenBSD (yet! who knows if someone will not port a BSD kernel with a
> GNU userland as Debian did some time ago [1] ;-))
>
> For me, it is a niche and for consistency, all the commands using ’sudo’
> should also provide the ’doas’ way.  And I am not convinced the burden
> is worth.  Well, I do not have an opinion.

I'm also not convinced it brings much, especially since Guix can't be
used where 'doas' is likely to be encountered (BSDs).

Closing.

Thanks for the discussion!

Maxim