Subject: Re: bug#52888: 29.0.50; font_{delete_unmatched,score} do not handle nil FONT_WEIGHT_INDEX

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 14:41:33 -0700

Hello,

On Wed 12 Jan 2022 at 04:56pm +02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 11:10:12 -0700
>> 
>> > OK, but (a) we need a comment there explaining why FC_VARIABLE is used
>> > as the condition, and (b) we'd also need to merge the temporary fix in
>> > font.c to master.
>> 
>> Here's an updated patch.  I don't think I can help with (b) but let me
>> know if there's something I can do.
>
> Thanks, I installed this, and also installed a followup change that is
> the "temporary fix" from emacs-28 adapted to the code on master.

Thank you for reviewing and installing.

The temporary fix can't do any harm, I suppose, but it is not clear to
me why it is necessary -- fontconfig doesn't generate the virtual/meta
FcPatterns in versions older than 2.12.91.  Sorry if I didn't make that
clearer earlier, or if I am missing some other reason why it is
necessary.

-- 
Sean Whitton