Subject: bug#52884: closed (Re: bug#52884: What is the expected behavior of xwidget webkit webinspector?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 01:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#52884: What is the expected behavior of xwidget webkit webinspector?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52884: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52884
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52884: What is the expected behavior of xwidget webkit webinspector?
From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 09:34:55 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] writes:

> Repeating the above but splitting the frame via C-x 3 before right
> clicking to pull up webinspector results in webinspector opening its
> own window (this may be related to the segfault on sway)?

It is probably not related to the segfault, and yes, it is intended
behaviour: WebKitGtk opens its own inspector window if it thinks the
WebKitWebView's window is not large enough to fit the inspector.

It should work fine unless you have multiple displays, where the
inspector window will probably open on the wrong display.  This is a
WebKitGtk bug, not a bug with Emacs (since we set the embedder window
correctly), so it should be reported to their developers instead.

Thanks, closing.  In the future, this kind of question should be sent to
help-gnu-emacs.

(BTW, please prefix your bug reports with some kind of sensible version
number, such as 29.0.50; the recent changes to xwidgets don't exist on
the release branch.)

Subject: What is the expected behavior of xwidget webkit webinspector?
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:21:55 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On emacs -Q compiled --with-webkit in xwayland on GNOME
- M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url RET then enter in some url
- right click on some element and select 'Inspect Element'
- the webinspector opens in the same window on the bottom half
Usually the size of this pane could be changed by dragging on the
divider

Repeating the above but splitting the frame via C-x 3 before right
clicking to pull up webinspector results in webinspector opening its
own window (this may be related to the segfault on sway)?

Should the behavior be consistent in these two cases?