Subject: 29.0.50; weird bug with Gnus, can't have "^From" in `message-hidden-header's

From: Emanuel Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:24:18 +0100

I had this - try it, only with the "^From" line uncommented.

(setq message-hidden-headers '("^Face"
                               ;; "^From"
                               "^Mail-Copies-To"
                               "^References"
                               "^X-Draft-From"
                               "^X-Face") )

If you then send a mail, you get

  mail-extract-address-components: Invalid address: nil

I always thought that, `message-hidden-headers', a mere
interface setting so it took me several days to find this
bug ...

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-12-27 built on ebc
Repository revision: fbe026cb3e2f8148dd1841e0f9974915ca32c84d
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS
HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: linux
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/misc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/misc
~/.emacs.d/lisp/abbrev hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/abbrev
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/obsolete/eieio-compat

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mule-util erc-list erc-menu erc-track
erc-netsplit shortdoc cl-extra cl-print help-fns radix-tree
canlock nnfolder mailalias mail-extr gnus-draft tabify
gnus-dup gnus-ml disp-table cursor-sensor pop3 nndraft nnmh
nnml gnutls network-stream nsm gnus-agent nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache term/linux cus-edit cus-start cus-load
w3m-unisearch w3m-incal w3m-session w3m-search checkdoc
lisp-mnt lisp-incal ielm nroff-mode compile-incal cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs summary message-incal moggle
mail-to-many gnus-server smtpmail sendmail article
w3m-download w3m-bookmark-more w3m-tabs erc-connect
bibtex-next-volume bibtex-incal bibtex-field bibtex-book
bibtex-autokey-insert yank xsel wrap-search spell ispell
sort-incal sort revert-buffer lpr inf-lisp tramp-cache
tramp-sh w3m-bookmark t-mouse man-incal tex-mode mode-line
kill keys iterate-files issn-verify isbn-verify help-incal
debug backtrace help-mode apropos fill-incal w3m-form
sh-script executable org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc
org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs markdown-mode rx noutline outline
easy-mmode man gnus-cite erc-match erc-button css-mode smie
sgml-mode facemenu imenu eww xdg url-queue mm-url color
compile epwgen em-hist em-pred esh-mode quit gnus-incal group
group-summary gnus-srvr erc-incal warnings erc-spell erc-ring
erc-pcomplete erc-kill erc-join erc-networks erc-iterate
erc-scroll erc-fill erc-stamp erc-goodies erc erc-backend pp
erc-loaddefs gnus-score score-mode gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win message yank-media rmc
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util edit tabs dired-incal
w3m-url w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-favicon
w3m-image tab-line w3m-proc w3m-util thingatpt time-incal
time-insert file tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
format-spec sudo-user-path find-command file-write-to
window-incal get-search-string search-regexp-in-files count
caps-back buffer-menu switch-to-buffer switch-to-buffer-regexp
super scroll dired dired-loaddefs close buc align-from-left
align-incal string abc info w3m-load package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded
nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 381623 34459)
 (symbols 48 33233 13)
 (strings 32 124347 12735)
 (string-bytes 1 4011174)
 (vectors 16 56542)
 (vector-slots 8 625964 63758)
 (floats 8 524 418)
 (intervals 56 1838 748)
 (buffers 992 30))

-- 
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal