Subject: bug#52870: [External] : bug#52870: Is displaying <menu-bar> bindings in describe-function useful?

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 15:44:18 -0800

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> FWIW I think it would be a good idea to do something like this:
>>
>>   It is bound to C-h f, <help> f, <menu-bar> <help-menu> <describe>
>>   <describe-function> (which means it can be invoked from the menu:
>>   "Help Menu" -> "Describe" ...).

IMO, that would be a step backwards.  This bug report started out with
me saying that this information is already confusing and distracting,
and this would make it even more so.

I don't think we should pretend that menu items are key bindings, because they
are not.  That is just an implementation detail.  Our user manual correctly
contrasts the two:

    "Each Emacs frame normally has a 'menu bar' at the top which you can use
    to perform common operations ...

       "On a display that supports a mouse, you can use the mouse to choose a
    command from the menu bar ...

       "Some of the commands in the menu bar have ordinary key bindings as
    well; if so, a key binding is shown after the item itself."