Subject: Re: bug#52870: Is displaying <menu-bar> bindings in describe-function useful?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:28:26 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 04:40:56 -0800
> 
> For example, in Dired, I type `C-h f dired-do-chmod RET' and read:
> 
>     It is bound to M, <menu-bar> <operate> <Change Mode...>.
> 
> Is the "<menu-bar> ..." part there very useful?

I think it's as useful as the other key bindings we show there.  This
doesn't annoy me, and I sometimes find it useful.

There's no reason to believe that people remember all the menu items
by heart, no more than we expect them to remember key sequences.  I'm
sure that if you look at the menu bindings, you will sometimes find
items there you didn't know about, or knew but forgot.

> I would therefore like to suggest either:
> 
> a) Displaying nothing at all for such bindings.  The menu entries will
>    be shown in the menu itself, and that is enough.
> 
>    In this case, we could have an option to revert to the old behavior.
> 
> b) Show it separately from other key bindings at the end, maybe
>    something like this:

This is a serious change in behavior, so I think it could only fly as
an opt-in feature.  It sounds like a personal preference, so an
option, off by default, for it sounds about right.

Thanks.