Subject: [bug#52866] maintenance: Add a crash dump service.

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 12:16:36 +0100

Hello Mathieu and Ludovic,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:

> There's already a window asking before uploading the crash dump. I think
> that if we make the warning message even more explicit it could be fine.
>
> WDYT?

While looking at the code for the crash dump page in the installer, I
didn't see any special handling of user and root passwords.  I've just
tested it at https://dump.guix.gnu.org/download/installer-dump-c9deb88f,
and you can see that the passwords end up in the results at the end
(both are `TEST` in capitals in my case).  I think this might require
more thought.  I'm not sure we have to include the result alist in the
dump report, as the installer log should provide enough information in
the case of a failure.

Concerning Ludo's objection to syslog being in the dump, this was one of
the reasons behind the new logging facilities at [1], which provide a
clean installer-only log file.  We could add some checkboxes to choose
which files to include, eg:

[X] Installer log
[ ] Syslog
[ ] Dmesg

Along with an option to view them in a pager.

WDYT?

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53063

Josselin Poiret