Subject: [bug#52866] maintenance: Add a crash dump service.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 09:22:38 +0100

Hey Ludo!

> I’m also unsure about the idea of having admins of Guix infrastructure
> be in a privileged position collecting that debugging info.  There’d
> have to be a privacy policy in place.

Yeah I would prefer the debug info to be public as they can be useful
for any potential bug hunter.

> Or, dump.guix.gnu.org could relay everything as-is to [email-masked]
> *if* we know users are aware of what data is being reported.

That's something that also crossed my mind, but I chose instead to make
the web-server publish the bug reports here: https://dump.guix.gnu.org.
They can then be downloaded with this URL:
https://dump.guix.gnu.org/download/<id>.

Of course the next step it to use this API in a command line tool or
so. I don't feel like working on another web interface.

Regarding the installer integration, you can have a look to:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=wip-harden-installer&id=22158d407af89d2f3df3abd8005ec2321df45c74.

There's already a window asking before uploading the crash dump. I think
that if we make the warning message even more explicit it could be fine.

WDYT?

Thanks,

Mathieu