Subject: 29.0.50; eshell: bash-completion as a capf is not working anymore

From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:52:00 +0000

Hi,

Recent changes in the master branch on eshell completion have broken a
very useful CAPF i have been using for awhile and was working
flawlessly.  bash-completion is an elisp package that uses the
underlying bash_completion scripts to provide the latter's functionality
at the elisp level (nominally for use with M-! and friends).  I have
code like this to use it in eshell via capf:

        (defun jao-eshell-completion-capf ()
          (let ((c (bash-completion-dynamic-complete-nocomint
                    (save-excursion (eshell-bol) (point))
                    (point)
                    t)))
            (when (and c (listp c))
              (append c '(:exclusive no)))))

        (defun jao-eshell--add-bash-completion ()
          (setq completion-at-point-functions
                '(jao-eshell-completion-capf pcomplete-completions-at-point t)))

        (add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook #'jao-eshell--add-bash-completion)

bash-completion-dynamic-complete-nocomint is a function from the
above-mentioned package that returns possible completions given a
region, in the format expected from a CAPF (unless something changed).
Since a few days ago, all those completions seem ignored and i only get
the ones coming from pcomplete-completions-at-point, if any.

Is there anything obviosuly wrong in the above that wouldn't have been
wrong before the latest changes to eshell's complete mechanism?

Thanks in advance from any hints: i realize this is not a good bug
report as it stands, so i'd be happy to move it to emacs-devel if you
prefer.

Cheers,
jao

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-12-28 built on rivendell
Repository revision: 116fabcd29a08b62ec7568152213f3ae42b3d104
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/emacs --with-x-toolkit=no
 --with-imagemagick --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  circe-lagmon-mode: t
  telega-root-auto-fill-mode: t
  telega-active-locations-mode: t
  telega-patrons-mode: t
  telega-mode-line-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-global-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  mct-mode: t
  corfu-global-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  persistent-scratch-autosave-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jao/lib/elisp/org-static-blog/org-static-blog hides /home/jao/.emacs.d/elpa.29/org-static-blog-20211201.1221/org-static-blog
/home/jao/etc/emacs/site/custom hides /usr/local/stow/emacs/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/custom
/home/jao/.emacs.d/elpa.29/transient-20211226.738/transient hides /usr/local/stow/emacs/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow flow-fill gnus-fun geiser-reload geiser-mode geiser-xref
geiser-guile geiser geiser-repl geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-image
geiser-company geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-edit geiser-completion
geiser-autodoc geiser-eval geiser-connection geiser-syntax geiser-log
geiser-popup geiser-impl geiser-custom geiser-base loadhist url-file
url-dired pulse goto-chg cl-print debug backtrace url-cache shortdoc
ucs-normalize bbdb-pgp org-id magit-extras misearch multi-isearch
term/xterm xterm vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
bug-reference git-rebase bash-completion em-unix em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-cmpl em-basic em-banner magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff
smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode
magit-git magit-section magit-utils sh-script paredit
display-fill-column-indicator smartscan executable copyright mailalias
bbdb-message sort gnus-cite shr-color qp mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-dup gnus-ml gnus-topic nnml bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua
gnus-icalendar ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe gnus-delay gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-cache gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 gnus-sum nndraft
nnmh gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win cal-move org-duration cal-iso org-appear cdlatex
texmathp image-file image-converter face-remap emojify apropos tar-mode
arc-mode archive-mode ht network-stream circe-display-images
circe-lagmon lui-track circe lui-irc-colors irc lcs lui-logging
lui-format circe-compat slack slack-company slack-unread slack-websocket
slack-thread-event slack-room-event slack-star-event
slack-reaction-event slack-reply-event slack-typing slack-slash-commands
slack-message-event slack-event slack-dialog-edit-element-buffer
slack-dialog-buffer slack-dialog slack-stars-buffer
slack-search-result-buffer slack-thread-message-compose-buffer
slack-file-list-buffer slack-file-info-buffer slack-all-threads-buffer
slack-message-buffer slack-user-profile-buffer slack-pinned-items-buffer
slack-pinned-item slack-thread-message-buffer slack-room-info-buffer
slack-room-buffer slack-message-share-buffer slack-message-edit-buffer
slack-room-message-compose-buffer slack-message-compose-buffer
slack-message-attachment-preview-buffer slack-action slack-star
slack-reminder slack-search slack-message-reaction slack-message-editor
slack-message-sender slack-message-notification slack-buffer
slack-message-formatter slack-thread slack-im slack-channel slack-group
slack-conversations slack-create-message slack-attachment
slack-selectable slack-bot-message slack-user-message slack-file
slack-message slack-message-faces slack-unescape slack-block
slack-mrkdwn slack-usergroup slack-reaction slack-modeline slack-room
slack-counts slack-user slack-bot slack-dnd-status slack-emoji
slack-image slack-request slack-log request lui flyspell ispell
slack-team slack-team-ws slack-util websocket exwm-systemtray
xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed exwm-edit exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb
exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout
exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types
xcb-debug bigml bml-logs bml bml-misc bml-whizzml bml-clojure
bml-clj-tests bml-python bml-skels bml-utils whizzml-skeletons skeleton
whizzml-mode lice sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous
sasl-login sasl-plain jao-mpc jao-random-album jao-lyrics jao-mpris
consult-spotify espotify telega-obsolete telega telega-tdlib-events
telega-webpage visual-fill-column telega-root telega-info telega-chat
telega-modes telega-company telega-user telega-notifications telega-voip
telega-msg telega-tme telega-sticker telega-i18n telega-vvnote bindat
telega-ffplay telega-media telega-sort telega-filter telega-ins
telega-folders telega-inline telega-tdlib telega-util
rainbow-identifiers dired-aux telega-server telega-core cursor-sensor
telega-customize emacsbug sendmail jao-mullvad bluetooth json-mode
json-snatcher js cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs virtualenvwrapper gud ediprolog
haskell-doc inf-haskell haskell-decl-scan haskell haskell-completions
haskell-load haskell-commands highlight-uses-mode haskell-modules
haskell-sandbox haskell-navigate-imports haskell-repl haskell-svg
haskell-collapse hideshow haskell-debug haskell-interactive-mode
haskell-presentation-mode haskell-compile haskell-hoogle haskell-process
haskell-session haskell-mode haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-font-lock haskell-indentation haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme haskell-align-imports
haskell-complete-module haskell-ghc-support flymake-proc flymake dabbrev
haskell-customize pie info-look etags fileloop xref project scheme
help-fns radix-tree package-lint finder lisp-mnt edit-list git-modes
gitignore-mode gitconfig-mode conf-mode gitattributes-mode git-link
git-timemachine url-http url-auth url-gw gh-profile diff-hl log-view
pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc jao-eshell-here eshell-autojump em-dirs esh-var
eshell-up git-ps1-mode em-term term disp-table ehelp
eshell-syntax-highlighting em-alias saveplace-pdf-view pdf-occur
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch pdf-misc consult-notmuch
org-capture jao-notmuch notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello
notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message
notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company
notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj notmuch-query goto-addr icalendar
notmuch-tag notmuch-lib notmuch-compat pcase hl-line mm-view mml-smime
smime dig bbdb-anniv bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site timezone randomsig
message yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader socks gnutls nsm rmc elpher ol-eww jao-eww-session eww xdg
url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr markdown-toc dash s
markdown-mode htmlize jao-org-links jao-maildir jao-doc-view let-alist
doc-view pdf-tools pdf-view pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs
image-mode exif ol-info ol-bbdb ol-eshell esh-mode eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
jao-org-notes ob-shell ob-scheme ob-python python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
parse-time ls-lisp ob-org ob-ocaml ob-makefile ob-haskell ob-gnuplot
ob-clojure ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs
rect calc-macs ob-prolog prolog smie align poly-org polymode poly-lock
polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat
polymode-methods polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base
color org-tempo tempo ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar org-agenda org-refile ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox
org-element avl-tree generator org-fragtog jao-afio winner autorevert
filenotify autoinsert embark-consult embark ffap thingatpt
consult-recoll jao-compilation consult bookmark marginalia mct corfu
orderless imenu find-dired dired-x dired dired-loaddefs wgrep grep
compile text-property-search jka-compr persistent-scratch so-long view
mule-util cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs jao-tracking tracking shorten jao-notify alert log4e
notifications gntp battery time jao-minibuffer minibuf-eldef mb-depth
jao-recoll diminish jao-light-theme jao-themes pinentry epa-file epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config transient comp comp-cstr warnings
cus-edit pp cus-load repeat edmacro kmacro jao-sleep dbus xml server
savehist recentf tree-widget wid-edit saveplace gnu-elpa-keyring-update
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-core cl-extra help-mode org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601
time-date ol org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs finder-inf tex-site
rx info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2439404 360512)
 (symbols 48 98096 159)
 (strings 32 549131 53137)
 (string-bytes 1 20899599)
 (vectors 16 239729)
 (vector-slots 8 7941621 301977)
 (floats 8 15162 8646)
 (intervals 56 112871 23656)
 (buffers 992 124))

-- 
The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy;
it lasts when all other pleasures fade.
  -Anthony Trollope, novelist (1815-1882)