Subject: bug#52860: Wishlist: Alternative keywords for emoji

From: Tor Kringeland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:30:41 +0100

Since the default emoji names are rather bland, it's common for
platforms to implicitly include alternative keywords for popular
emoji.  For example, the name of 🤗 is "smiling face with open hands",
but something like "hug" makes more sense when searching for it.

It would be nice if Emacs had an option to specify an a-list
containing alternative keywords for given emoji.  The car of an entry
would be an emoji and the cdr would be a list of alternative keywords.
Then these could been included when running `emoji-search' or in
possible future input methods.  As an example, it could look like

   '(("🤗" "hug" "hugging" "kind"))

The keywords need not be unique for the given emoji.  There are some
efforts to crowdsource keywords for emoji.  One is [1] (see also raw
file [2]).  I think it makes more sense to only have an option and let
the user specify the keywords he wants.

- [1] https://github.com/muan/emojilib

- [2] 
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/muan/emojilib/main/dist/emoji-en-US.json