Subject: bug#52860: Wishlist: Alternative keywords for emoji

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:56:38 +0100

Tor Kringeland <[email-masked]> writes:

> It would be nice if Emacs had an option to specify an a-list
> containing alternative keywords for given emoji.  The car of an entry
> would be an emoji and the cdr would be a list of alternative keywords.
> Then these could been included when running `emoji-search' or in
> possible future input methods.  As an example, it could look like
>
>   '(("🤗" "hug" "hugging" "kind"))
>
> The keywords need not be unique for the given emoji.

I started implementing this, but the Emacs completion machinery really
doesn't like having many completion alternatives that are "the same".

I thought the Emacs completion machinery had grown support for this, but
poking around, I can't find anything.  So I've changed the completion to
use "name\tglyph" when doing completion when emoji-alternate-names is
non-nil, which is a bit clunkier, but...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no