Subject: Re: bug#52825: [PATCH] gnus-article: shr: Let user limit the line-width

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:47:52 +0100

Yaseen Mowzer <[email-masked]> writes:

> As a user with a wide screen I want to limit the width of lines in
> gnus-article buffers so that articles are easier to read. This is
> configurable in the 'shr' backend by setting 'shr-width' to an
> integer. However, 'mm-shr' forces 'shr-width' to nil (by default) and
> 'fill-column' (when 'shr-use-fonts' is nil).

[...]

> -  (let ((shr-width (if shr-use-fonts
> -		       nil
> -		     fill-column))
> -	(shr-content-function (lambda (id)

The point of filling when not using fonts is explained by the commit
message:

    * lisp/gnus/mm-decode.el (mm-shr): Only pass the fill column when not using
    fonts, because limiting the width to what's appropriate for followups
    doesn't really help when not using proportional fonts.

Your change would make Gnus disregard fill-column when not using fonts,
thereby causing followups to use wider lines, which we want to avoid.

But I think using shr-width instead of nil in the font case would be
fine, so I've done that instead in Emacs 29.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no