Subject: bug#52815: Editable grep buffer

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:51:59 -0800

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can see two meanings for "the original locations" -- does it mean
> the locations stated in the edited grep output, or does it mean the locations
> that _were_ stated in the original grep output (before editing it)?
>
> If it is the former, then can't you do this with C-u C-x ` ?
> I just tried it and it worked.  C-u C-x ` reparses the error locations
> in the buffer.

This is not what wgrep.el does, so this bug report is not about that.

> Actually editing the text in the Grep mode buffer is a nuisance, since
> many self-inserting characters do unusual things.  But that is a
> different issue.

This is the issue we are discussing here, as that is what wgrep does.
It works well in practice, analogous to how wdired works but it edits
multiple files.  You enter wgrep-mode from grep-mode to make your edits
with `C-x C-q', edit the text of the buffer and then type `C-x C-s' to
save your changes to the relevant files.

This is very similar to wdired.