Subject: bug#52809: 28.0.90; X11 modeline context menu grows offscreen unreadable on smaller screen of two screen display

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:00:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Then please do use "make -jN bootstrap", where N is the number of
> execution units you have on that system.  That's how you request
> parallel Emacs builds.

Thanks, I will do that the next time.

>> I'm saying "make bootstrap" detects there are multiple cores and
>> suggests or defaults to using them all in parallel whee possible.
>
> The way we natively-compile Lisp files during a build was
> intentionally made serial, so that the Make command could control how
> much parallelism is in use.  Because otherwise, we could easily
> overwhelm the CPU, because the inherent built-in parallelism of the
> async native-compilation doesn't care about the system load, so
> invoking "make -j8" would give you 8 compilation jobs, each one of
> which could use 4 cores.
>

Thank you for taking the time to explain this.  I was seeing one of 
the CPU bars 100% and the three other ones idle.

-- 
vl