Subject: Re: bug#52809: 28.0.90; X11 modeline context menu grows offscreen unreadable on smaller screen of two screen display

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:17:38 +0200

> Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:13:01 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Yes, during the Emacs build.  I haven't experimented to see if "make 
> -j4" will allow 4 parallel lanes of ELC+ELN compilations.  That would 
> be nice.

Then please do use "make -jN bootstrap", where N is the number of
execution units you have on that system.  That's how you request
parallel Emacs builds.

> I'm saying "make bootstrap" detects there are multiple cores and
> suggests or defaults to using them all in parallel whee possible.

The way we natively-compile Lisp files during a build was
intentionally made serial, so that the Make command could control how
much parallelism is in use.  Because otherwise, we could easily
overwhelm the CPU, because the inherent built-in parallelism of the
async native-compilation doesn't care about the system load, so
invoking "make -j8" would give you 8 compilation jobs, each one of
which could use 4 cores.