Subject: bug#52809: 28.0.90; X11 modeline context menu grows offscreen unreadable on smaller screen of two screen display

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:25:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2021, Po Lu wrote:

To be clear, the primary larger screen where the taskbar/app-launcher 
is pinned behaves as expected for emac's modeline context menu.  The 
problem is on the smaller secondary screen.

>> The context menu grows offscreen and unreadable.
>>
>> # expected behavior
>> The context menu "floats" as it grows, showing all the rows on the
>> context menu.
>
> What toolkit is your Emacs built with?  Is it GTK+?  And if so, what
> version of GTK+ is it?

The x-toolkit is "lucid".  Here is the clip from the config.log in 
the build directory.

'''
   $ /b/b/b/Blah/Projects/X/emacs/configure 
--prefix=/b/b/b/Blah/Applications/emacs-2021-12-04 
--with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-xft 
--with-native-compilation --without-compress-install
'''

The GTK values are not set in config.log

'''
ac_cv_env_GTK_CFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_GTK_CFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_GTK_LIBS_set=
ac_cv_env_GTK_LIBS_value=
GTK_CFLAGS=''
GTK_LIBS=''
GTK_OBJ=''
'''

> In the future, please use report-emacs-bug to report this kind of bug.
> It avoids having to ask these questions.

I don't have emacs configured for email and worry the mechanism might 
misfire.  Sorry about that.  I just discovered the config.log file is
1Mb long and decided not to include that in the attachment.

These are all the libraries associated with the emacs binary.  I want 
a skeleton thin build for my basic need but don't really know what to 
exclude.  Hope this helps.

'''
$ readelf -d b/b/Blah/bin/emacs | fgrep -n NEED
4: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libtiff.so.5]
5: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libjpeg.so.62]
6: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libpng16.so.16]
7: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libz.so.1]
8: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libgif.so.7]
9: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXpm.so.4]
10: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXaw3d.so.6]
11: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXmu.so.6]
12: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXt.so.6]
13: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libSM.so.6]
14: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libICE.so.6]
15: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXext.so.6]
16: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libX11.so.6]
17: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXrender.so.1]
18: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libasound.so.2]
19: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[librsvg-2.so.2]
20: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libm.so.6]
21: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libgio-2.0.so.0]
22: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0]
23: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libgobject-2.0.so.0]
24: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libglib-2.0.so.0]
25: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libcairo.so.2]
26: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libacl.so.1]
27: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[librt.so.1]
28: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libdbus-1.so.3]
29: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXrandr.so.2]
30: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXinerama.so.1]
31: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libXfixes.so.3]
32: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libxml2.so.2]
33: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libgpm.so.2]
34: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libtinfo.so.6]
35: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libselinux.so.1]
36: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libfreetype.so.6]
37: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libfontconfig.so.1]
38: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libharfbuzz.so.0]
39: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libotf.so.0]
40: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libm17n-core.so.0]
41: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libm17n-flt.so.0]
42: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libgnutls.so.30]
43: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libpthread.so.0]
44: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libanl.so.1]
45: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[liblcms2.so.2]
46: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libdl.so.2]
47: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libsystemd.so.0]
48: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libgmp.so.10]
49: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libgccjit.so.0]
50: 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: 
[libc.so.6]
71: 0x000000006ffffffe (VERNEED)            0xd730
72: 0x000000006fffffff (VERNEEDNUM)         18
'''

Thanks in advance.

-- 
vl