Subject: [bug#52805] [PATCH] substitute: Add a ‘--clear-cache’ option.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:00:19 +0100

Hiya Ludo',

Ludovic Courtès 写道：
> For the same reason as ‘guix substitute’: caching allows it to 
> send only
> requests for which it doesn’t already know the answer.

Thanks!  The problem is this reason doesn't make sense.

N.B. I agree it's an acceptable trade-off for ‘guix substitute’, 
which has different operating parameters.

When I run ‘guix weather’ twice in a row, I am *never* interested 
in reviewing the stale numbers I got the first time (or worse: a 
mix of stale and new numbers).  I don't care if the data is very 
fresh: I am asking for fresher.

Caching is never to my advantage: it is ‘saving’ only the work I 
asked it to perform, against my wishes.  ‘Look how fast I fed you 
possibly bogus data against your will!’ is not an impressive 
boast.

Is my concern clear?  Reasonable?

Kind regards,

T G-R