Subject: Re: bug#52795: 29.0.50; pgtk: issues with key bindings

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 09:33:37 +0800

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> On all of these, Emacs's "classical" X11+GTK configuration works fine;
> other applications work fine too; the problems I describe only show up
> in Emacs compiled --with-pgtk.

WDYM by other applications?  Are those GTK+ applications, and do they
treat S-SCP differently from SPC?

> Is there a knob to tweak that I've missed?  I've seen other reports of
> input problems with the pgtk configuration, but I don't think I found
> any insight into my specific issue.

It seems to be a limitation of GTK+; it's not something we can solve,
unless the GTK developers finally decide to have most of the built-in
input modules stop removing the shift modifier when confronted with the
SPC key.

OTOH, if you're running X, I recommend you use the regular X port
instead.  It will work much better in general, thanks to not having to
work around crazy limitations of GTK (child frame performance
immediately comes to mind.)