Subject: Re: bug#52795: 29.0.50; pgtk: issues with key bindings

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 08:46:40 +0800

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> Off the top of my head (testing on XFCE, because that's all I'll have
> for the coming week):
>
> - with Firefox, as in special-mode-map, SPC scrolls forward and S-SPC
>   scrolls backward,
>
> - in Libreoffice Calc, SPC self-inserts, S-SPC selects the current row,
>
> - XFCE's keyboard shortcut manager allows binding Shift-Space.
>
> I don't know how much those rely on GTK+; possibly they do something
> similar to Emacs's X11+GTK configuration?

Yeah, all those programs use X directly to handle keyboard input.

> I'm also idly curious about these GTK limitations; are they documented
> somewhere (either Emacs-side or GTK-side)?  When researching this S-SPC
> issue, I tried to search for developer manuals and bug trackers, but the
> only relevant results that showed up were Emacs related (that's how I
> found out about the pgtk-use-im-context-on-new-connection /
> pgtk-use-im-context knobs).

GTK people typically don't document what they think apps "shouldn't do",
which apparently includes treating S-SPC as distinct from SPC.

> Thanks for your clarifications; setting aside my question on GTK
> limitations, and my issue with fringe icons shrinking when increasing
> DPI scaling (that would be… bug#37932, at first glance?), this can be
> closed I guess?

I will look into the scaling (though I have no high-definition
monitor).  I think that the bug report should remain open though, in
case some person wiser than I am has a solution.

Thanks.