Subject: bug#52792: 27.2; please don't hardcode utf-8 when fetching group list

From: LdBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:49:56 +0800

>>>>> In <[email-masked]> 
>>>>>	Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thanks, but this is not the right way to solve such problems, IMO.  We
> should either make the coding-system be customizable as a simple
> value, or (better) have a more complex data structure that allows to
> specify the encoding for each NNTP server (or for servers matching
> some regexp), with UTF-8 being the default.

Right, it would be more desirable to use UTF-8 internally, rather than
doing ad-hoc encoding translation everywhere.

> Also, AFAICT, Gnus currently uses more than a single variable to hold
> the coding-system it uses for decoding stuff in different situations,
> so some changes will probably be needed to use a single customizable
> value everywhere.

Currently the encode/decode functions in message.el works fine for
GBK, this bug would not affect people who are only using Gnus for
IMAP/Maildir.  It would still better leaving these two systems (News
and Messages) separated. Today most email services are already
switched to UTF-8. It's only that many NNTP servers are still using
the old encoding for legacy reasons.

-- 
LDB