Subject: bug#5278: Wishlist: Add a menu entry to start emacs in term-mode

From: Praveen A <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 03:09:03 +0530

Severity: wishlist

Hi,

I started using emacs seriously after it added support for rendering
indic scripts/complex scripts. My main motivation was having a
terminal that can display Malayalam characters properly.

This is important for file names in Malayalam (I normally give
Malayalam names to folders in nautilus, but it causes rendering
problems when using gnome-terminal) and outputs from translated
applications (including passwd and su). We keep getting queries about
Malayalam rendering in terminal in our language community list
(smc.org.in).

I have been reporting many rendering bugs and started using emacs full
time. Btw thanks to everyone worked on getting complex rendering
support to emacs, especially to Kenichi Handa, who is very helpful and
responsive to bug reports.

So I think it would be a great opportunity to bring lot more people
into emacs by inviting them with a terminal that can render any
language that needs complex rendering.

I request adding a menu entry in 'system tools' for 'emacs terminal'
(emacs --eval '(ansi-term "/bin/bash")') in addition to the default
emacs menu entry.

This would also help me to convince GNU/Linux distributions to ship
emacs in default installations, at least for languages requiring
complex rendering support.

Thanks
Praveen
-- 
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
<GPLv2> I know my rights; I want my phone call!
<DRM> What use is a phone call, if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)
Join The DRM Elimination Crew Now!
http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign