Subject: bug#52770: closed (Re: bug#52770: ddclient service not working, but package works.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 22:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#52770: ddclient service not working, but package works.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52770: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52770
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52770: ddclient service not working, but package works.
From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
To: Florian Hoertlehner <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 01:54:34 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Florian,

Florian Hoertlehner <[email-masked]> writes:

[…]

> As a service it is not working though.

ddclient removed in 1bd44b425b79e9da160b33a9b19d01973b44772e because
it's unmaintained by the upstream project as discussed in 64669 issue.

Oleg.

Subject: ddclient service not working, but package works.
From: Florian Hoertlehner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 11:16:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

ddclient is working.
I checked it with:
sudo ddclient -foreground -file
/home/florian/repo/myLinux/data/nuc/ddclient.conf

The cache file gets updated, sudo cat  /var/cache/ddclient/ddclient.cache
## .ddclient-real-3.9.1
## last updated at Fri Dec 24 11:08:10 2021 (1640340490)
atime=0,backupmx=0,custom=0,host=nuc.pinkgorilla.org,ip=85.125.195.170,mtime=1640340334,mx=,script=/nic/update,static=0,status=,warned-min-error-interval=0,warned-min-interval=0,wildcard=0,wtime=30
nuc.pinkgorilla.org

I can also run ddclient without sudo, but this then does not update
ddclient.cache file. But it does its job.

As a service it is not working though. This is my service definition.
service-ddclient-nuc is used in the operating system definiton.
(define-public service-ddclient-nuc
(service ddclient-service-type
(ddclient-configuration
(secret-file "/home/florian/repo/myLinux/data/nuc/ddclient.conf")
)))

in var/log/messages I get this error(I just pasted 3 errors; it repeats
every 5 minutes).
Dec 24 10:15:34 localhost .ddclient-real[10715]: WARNING:  found neither
ipv4 nor ipv6 address
Dec 24 10:20:34 localhost .ddclient-real[10715]: WARNING:  found neither
ipv4 nor ipv6 address
Dec 24 10:25:34 localhost .ddclient-real[10715]: WARNING:  found neither
ipv4 nor ipv6 address

Perhaps the ddclient service needs to wait until network is available?