Subject: bug#52751: 27.1; Go back to editing the from part in query replace

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 00:14:48 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Mainstream UIs solve this by having different input fields where I
  > can switch to and edit any input field before submitting. Maybe
  > the FROM -> TO input should be the default with a preinserted ->
  > arrow, so the user can switch back an forth easily between FROM
  > and TO?

That is an interesting idea, but I think it would be a pain unless
there is a convenient, easy way to move between those two parts of the
minibuffer.

Any ideas for how to do that?

One idea that occurs to me is to define two special movement commands
and bind M-{ and M-} to them.  It is unusual for the FROM and TO
strings to contain multiple paragraphs, so the standard bindings of
those two keys won't be much missed.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)