Subject: bug#52744: closed (Re: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Make GnuPG 2.2.32 available for users.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 22:42:02 +0000

Your bug report

#52744: Make GnuPG 2.2.32 available and remove emacs-pinentry

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52744: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52744
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Make GnuPG 2.2.32 available for users.
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:41:42 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 07:00:33PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Fixes <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52483>.
> 
> * gnu/packages/gnupg.scm (gnupg-2.2.32)[properties]: Unhide this package.
> [source]: Add 'gnupg-default-pinentry.patch'.
> * gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm (emacs-pinentry)[propagated-inputs]: Replace gnupg
> with gnupg-2.2.32.

I pushed this patch as d03aa942def0037cb32ff1d0cc2ac5d13f1a63df

I did not push the second patch, which removes emacs-pinentry. I'll
close this ticket and let Emacs users decide what to do with
emacs-pinentry.

Subject: Make GnuPG 2.2.32 available and remove emacs-pinentry
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:59:03 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As discussed in #52483 [0], our GnuPG package cannot do symmetric
encryption and decryption. However, we do have a hidden GnuPG package
that doesn't include this bug.

The first patch unhide that package, make the pinentry mechanism work on
Guix, and adjust the emacs-pinentry package to avoid needing to hide
this GnuPG variant in the first place.

The second patch removes emacs-pinentry entirely, because it is
apparently no longer useful and abandoned upstream.

[0]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52483