Subject: bug#52737: 29.0.50; pgtk and StumpWM: Cannot send C-t

From: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 12:31:34 -0400

Similar to GNU screen or tmux, StumpWM uses a key to prefix all commands.  The default prefix is C-t.  To send the prefix key to an application, C-t t can be used.  For example, to open a new tab in a browser or to transpose keys in a shell, C-t t is used.

Emacs built --with-pgtk no longer recognizes C-t when C-t t is sent.  For example, `describe-key' followed by C-t t stays at the prompt waiting for a key to be entered.

This is the case when starting with emacs -Q.  If Emacs is started with emacs -nw -Q, C-t t is recognized.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, amd64-portbld-freebsd13.0, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
Repository revision: ca5c527
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: 13.0-RELEASE-p4

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --localstatedir=/var
 --without-libsystemd --without-selinux --with-x --enable-acl
 --with-cairo --without-dbus --without-gconf --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --without-gsettings --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg
 --with-json --with-file-notification=kqueue --with-lcms2
 --with-m17n-flt --without-imagemagick --without-mailutils
 --with-modules --without-native-compilation --with-sound=oss
 --with-libotf --with-pgtk --with-png --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --with-sqlite3 --with-rsvg --with-threads --with-tiff --with-webp
 --with-xft --with-xim --with-xml2 --with-xpm --without-xwidgets
 --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib --x-includes=/usr/local/include
 --prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man --disable-silent-rules
 --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/
 --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd13.0 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong -isystem /usr/local/include
 -fno-strict-aliasing ' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem /usr/local/include' 'LDFLAGS=
 -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  eyebrowse-mode: t
  counsel-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jrm/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20211208.1819/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp/transient
/home/jrm/.emacs.d/elpa/dash-20210826.1149/dash hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp/dash
/home/jrm/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20211208.1819/transient-autoloads hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp/transient-autoloads
/home/jrm/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20211208.1819/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient
/usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/obsolete/eieio-compat

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message emacsbug sendmail flow-fill mm-archive gnus-fun
bbdb-mua bbdb-com sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml disp-table hl-line gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnagent nnml
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader gnutls network-stream nsm
erc-image image-dired image-mode exif url-queue erc-spelling erc-ring
erc-netsplit erc-menu erc-log erc-list erc-pcomplete erc-join
erc-networks erc-track erc-match erc-hl-nicks erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp wid-edit erc-goodies erc erc-backend thingatpt erc-loaddefs
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp flyspell ispell magit-version ert pp ewoc
debug backtrace undo-tree smart-mode-line-dark-theme smart-mode-line
rich-minority s pdf-tools-loaddefs osc52e misc hydra lv flycheck
find-func ace-link avy bbdb bbdb-site timezone company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-capf
company-cmake company-clang company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb which-key savehist company pcase eyebrowse counsel xdg
advice xref project compile swiper ivy delsel ivy-faces ivy-overlay
colir color cus-load magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff
diff-mode easy-mmode git-commit rx log-edit message yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete comint ring
server ansi-color magit-mode transient cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode
format-spec magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash finder-inf
tex-site info w3m-load package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
kqueue dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 981795 71457)
 (symbols 48 33719 2)
 (strings 32 132864 12371)
 (string-bytes 1 4167605)
 (vectors 16 74682)
 (vector-slots 8 1369393 59143)
 (floats 8 466 473)
 (intervals 56 4064 608)
 (buffers 992 51))