Subject: Re: bug#52729: [PATCH] gnu: ocaml: Update to 4.13.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:51:49 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 at 14:43, Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >On a side note, have you tried to replace boot/ocamlc (and friends) with
> >the bootstrapped ones (camlboot -> ocaml-4.07 -> *).  Other said, what
> >is the most affordable path to exploit camlboot and have a good
> >bootstrapping story for OCaml.
>
> Currently we can only use camlboot to bootstrap ocaml 4.07, which is what we do. We plan to improve it so it can build newer versions though.

Yes, I remember when discussing the patch adding camlboot and
ocaml4.07-boot. :-)  That's what you explained [1].

Well, a direct bootstrap camlboot -> ocaml-4.13 is better for sure,
but harder.  Instead, my question is: have you tried a chain of
boostrap: camlboot -> ocaml-4.07 -> ? -> ocaml-4.13.  I could be
temporary solution waiting camlboot improvements, no?

1: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/46806#11>

Cheers,
simon