Subject: bug#52705: 29.0.50; Flashing popups when x-gtk-use-system-tooltips is nil

From: Aleksandr Vityazev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:27:20 +0000

Hello,

Emacs is built from this commit -
264589cdf762d015c8ecd102afb7eb61dc0ad65b.  Everything below is checked
in emacs -Q.

1. (setq x-gtk-use-system-tooltips nil).

2. Enter the vc-dir of the project (C-x p v).

3. When I move the mouse cursor over the stash tooltip area, there are
flashing popups containing only the background with no text, which
disappear after I stop moving the mouse.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Artix Linux

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/vx6vfbmmazvfi7vp8xyjn2mcyylvw9gn-bash-minimal-5.1.8/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/vx6vfbmmazvfi7vp8xyjn2mcyylvw9gn-bash-minimal-5.1.8/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/vxj0ic9rswbyjkmvfrw0f0sba9j4rjlw-emacs-rrr-next-29.0.50-13.264589c
 --enable-fast-install --with-pgtk --without-libsystemd
 --with-native-compilation --with-native-compilation --with-modules
 --with-cairo --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/akagi/.guix-home/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/vxj0ic9rswbyjkmvfrw0f0sba9j4rjlw-emacs-rrr-next-29.0.50-13.264589c/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-message-citation-mode: t
  reverse-im-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  openwith-mode: t
  eros-mode: t
  highlight-indent-guides-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  fancy-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  hes-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  org-roam-db-autosync-mode: t
  prot-vc-git-setup-mode: t
  mml-mode: t
  company-posframe-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  av-compile-mode: t
  global-guix-prettify-mode: t
  guix-prettify-mode: t
  project-x-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  envrc-mode: t
  midnight-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  mood-line-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  fnhh-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: -1
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/gnu/store/wff4kc9ksyd52q8zi2850h6zf35k2j4g-emacs-rrr-embark-0.12-6.e0057f6/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-embark-0.12-6.e0057f6/embark hides /gnu/store/wynxqkanibnfaymfnlr9c92h62468qys-emacs-embark-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/embark-0.13/embark
/gnu/store/wff4kc9ksyd52q8zi2850h6zf35k2j4g-emacs-rrr-embark-0.12-6.e0057f6/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-embark-0.12-6.e0057f6/embark-consult hides /gnu/store/wynxqkanibnfaymfnlr9c92h62468qys-emacs-embark-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/embark-0.13/embark-consult
/gnu/store/wff4kc9ksyd52q8zi2850h6zf35k2j4g-emacs-rrr-embark-0.12-6.e0057f6/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-embark-0.12-6.e0057f6/avy-embark-collect hides /gnu/store/wynxqkanibnfaymfnlr9c92h62468qys-emacs-embark-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/embark-0.13/avy-embark-collect
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult-register hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult-register
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult-imenu hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult-imenu
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult-xref hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult-xref
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult-vertico hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult-vertico
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult-org hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult-org
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult-icomplete hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult-icomplete
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult-flymake hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult-flymake
/gnu/store/17s2pwa986rv95z1difcd5wsv46gz2d3-emacs-rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-consult-0.12-5.a8d8e83/consult-compile hides /gnu/store/aa4c504fbns0p8pm9p0jrvp4dx4kidyf-emacs-consult-0.13/share/emacs/site-lisp/consult-0.13/consult-compile
~/.local/projects/elisp/mine/info-ph-mode/info-ph hides /gnu/store/kark6cdzyrfnm93rn95ilvymh4h9i16x-emacs-rrr-info-ph-0.0.1-0.a867f98/share/emacs/site-lisp/rrr-info-ph-0.0.1-0.a867f98/info-ph
/gnu/store/2ylrf2nzbzr56ik0jcjzmsh41zgd384a-emacs-transient-0.3.7/share/emacs/site-lisp/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /gnu/store/vxj0ic9rswbyjkmvfrw0f0sba9j4rjlw-emacs-rrr-next-29.0.50-13.264589c/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient
/gnu/store/k724y3i0042a5r9h8yybr11g8fldn7va-emacs-auth-source-pass-5.0.0-2.847a1f5/share/emacs/site-lisp/auth-source-pass-5.0.0-2.847a1f5/auth-source-pass hides /gnu/store/vxj0ic9rswbyjkmvfrw0f0sba9j4rjlw-emacs-rrr-next-29.0.50-13.264589c/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/auth-source-pass
/gnu/store/6bhsdx526pnlns98w7qgfhbmnq8pd2rf-emacs-faceup-0.0.1-1.6c92dad/share/emacs/site-lisp/faceup-0.0.1-1.6c92dad/faceup hides /gnu/store/vxj0ic9rswbyjkmvfrw0f0sba9j4rjlw-emacs-rrr-next-29.0.50-13.264589c/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/faceup
/gnu/store/q18xl7ll9dwp18wyrzazxxz573kszc7y-emacs-let-alist-1.0.6/share/emacs/site-lisp/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /gnu/store/vxj0ic9rswbyjkmvfrw0f0sba9j4rjlw-emacs-rrr-next-29.0.50-13.264589c/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/gnu/store/vxj0ic9rswbyjkmvfrw0f0sba9j4rjlw-emacs-rrr-next-29.0.50-13.264589c/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-compat hides /gnu/store/vxj0ic9rswbyjkmvfrw0f0sba9j4rjlw-emacs-rrr-next-29.0.50-13.264589c/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/obsolete/eieio-compat

Features:
(shadow emacsbug log-view av-message tramp-cmds av-ace-window ace-window
sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-dup
gnus-draft gnus-ml gnus-topic cursor-sensor nndoc nndraft nnmh nnmaildir
network-stream nnfolder executable copyright nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache guix-devel edit-indirect
guix-misc guix-ui guix-ui-messages bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry
bui-core bui-history bui-button vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs mule-util consult-imenu av-vc autoinsert av-x
av-comm smtpmail reverse-im quail embark-consult av-consult av-eww eww
url-queue mm-url ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-win gnutls nnmail gnus-int gnus-range mail-source gnus
nnheader consult-vertico consult av-recentf recentf tree-widget bookmark
openwith ebdb-message sendmail ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb
eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe timezone cus-edit pp cus-start
cus-load wid-edit company-elisp package-lint-flymake package-lint
let-alist imenu finder finder-inf package av-browse-url embark-dtache
av-embark password-store auth-source-pass with-editor server embark avy
browse-url url-handlers highlight-defined eros nameless lisp-mnt
av-skempo skempo skeleton parent-mode mode-local av-company-elisp
hl-line highlight-indent-guides color hl-todo disp-table
page-break-lines diff-hl vc-dir ewoc flymake-guile flymake-proc flymake
av-flymake pixel-scroll fancy-battery battery dbus xml time
highlight-escape-sequences so-long savehist saveplace mb-depth elec-pair
av-org-faces org-roam-extra ucs-normalize org-roam-migrate org-roam-mode
org-roam-capture org-roam-node org-roam-db org-roam-utils
org-roam-compat org-roam org-capture org-element avl-tree org-id
org-habit av-org-agenda org-agenda org-refile org-tempo tempo ob-clojure
ob-scheme ob-ledger ob-latex ob-shell ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol
org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs emacsql-sqlite url-http
url-auth url-gw nsm url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util emacsql emacsql-compiler
magit-section f s vc-git diff-mode prot-vc prot-common log-edit message
mailcap yank-media rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log vc vc-dispatcher company-files
company-keywords company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf
company-ebdb company-posframe posframe diminish company pcase av-compile
guix-prettify guix-auto-mode guix-read guix-help-vars guix-repl
guix-profiles guix-geiser guix-guile geiser-mode geiser-xref
macrostep-geiser geiser-guile info-look info geiser geiser-repl compile
text-property-search geiser-compile geiser-debug transient geiser-image
geiser-company geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-edit etags fileloop
generator xref project-x project geiser-completion geiser-autodoc advice
geiser-eval geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax al-scheme scheme
geiser-log geiser-popup view geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree
geiser-custom geiser-base guix-external guix-utils bui-utils dash
guix-config guix-build-config guix epa-file epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs russian-holidays cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs ffap thingatpt url-parse url-vars envrc inheritenv
midnight dtache-shell marginalia-dtache dtache docker-tramp tramp-cache
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp
format-spec auth-source password-cache json map autorevert filenotify
init saved-macros av-elisp nordrrr-theme smart-hungry-delete marginalia
orderless vertico-x vertico use-package-diminish mood-line async
find-func time-date comp comp-cstr warnings exec-path-from-shell edmacro
kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode fnhh cl-extra help-mode
use-package-core rrr-daemons-autoloads rrr-org-roam-extra-autoloads
pg-autoloads finalize-autoloads emacsql-autoloads
emacsql-sqlite3-autoloads rrr-org-roam-autoloads
org-tree-slide-autoloads rrr-orglink-autoloads arduino-mode-autoloads
ede/auto eieio-base cl-seq eieio rrr-org-contrib-autoloads
posframe-autoloads company-posframe-autoloads company-reftex-autoloads
auctex-autoloads tex-site company-auctex-autoloads
company-math-autoloads company-ebdb-autoloads
eshell-prompt-extras-autoloads eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads
esh-help-autoloads eshell-toggle-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads highlight-defined-autoloads
highlight-escape-sequences-autoloads highlight-indent-guides-autoloads
json-snatcher-autoloads undercover-autoloads json-reformat-autoloads
json-mode-autoloads rrr-docker-autoloads docker-compose-mode-autoloads
docker-tramp-autoloads dockerfile-mode-autoloads
flymake-shellcheck-autoloads rrr-flymake-guile-autoloads
rrr-flymake-kondor-autoloads package-lint-autoloads
parent-mode-autoloads skempo-autoloads rrr-git-timemachine-autoloads
rrr-git-email-autoloads libgit-autoloads rrr-magit-autoloads
magit-popup-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads edit-indirect-autoloads
guix-autoloads rx rrr-aurel-autoloads rrr-pacman-autoloads kv-autoloads
esxml-autoloads nov-el-autoloads rrr-pdf-view-restore-autoloads
tablist-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads synosaurus-autoloads
adaptive-wrap-autoloads wordnut-autoloads rrr-multitran-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads rrr-shikimori-autoloads deferred-autoloads
request-autoloads rrr-mastodon-autoloads rrr-youtube-dl-autoloads
rrr-ytel-autoloads ts-autoloads rrr-plz-autoloads rrr-ement-autoloads
rrr-seriestracker-autoloads rrr-htmlize-autoloads rrr-telega-x-autoloads
rrr-telega-contrib-autoloads rainbow-identifiers-autoloads
company-autoloads visual-fill-column-autoloads rrr-telega-autoloads
simple-httpd-autoloads rrr-oauth2-autoloads browse-at-remote-autoloads
elpher-autoloads link-hint-autoloads ace-window-autoloads
rrr-vertico-x-autoloads vertico-autoloads rrr-prot-pulse-autoloads
rrr-prot-vc-autoloads rrr-project-x-autoloads rrr-project-rg-autoloads
rrr-inflections-autoloads sesman-autoloads queue-autoloads epl-autoloads
pkg-info-autoloads parseclj-autoloads a-autoloads parseedn-autoloads
cider-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads
paredit-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads rrr-clj-refactor-autoloads
rrr-anakondo-autoloads rrr-kibit-helper-autoloads rrr-info-ph-autoloads
rrr-info-colors-autoloads selectrum-autoloads flycheck-autoloads
consult-autoloads embark-autoloads rrr-dtache-autoloads bui-autoloads
rrr-cuirass-autoloads monroe-autoloads pos-tip-autoloads
faceup-autoloads racket-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads transpose-frame-autoloads sly-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads markup-faces-autoloads adoc-mode-autoloads
emms-autoloads vterm-autoloads orderless-autoloads use-package-autoloads
gcmh-autoloads fancy-battery-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
smart-hungry-delete-autoloads transmission-autoloads diminish-autoloads
elisp-demos-autoloads eros-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
rrr-macrostep-geiser-autoloads transient-autoloads geiser-autoloads
move-text-autoloads page-break-lines-autoloads openwith-autoloads
olivetti-autoloads log4e-autoloads gntp-autoloads alert-autoloads
math-symbol-lists-autoloads scratch-el-autoloads parsebib-autoloads
hydra-autoloads ivy-autoloads let-alist-autoloads biblio-autoloads
ebib-autoloads marginalia-autoloads memoize-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads sudo-edit-autoloads rrr-nordrrr-autoloads
spinner-autoloads suggest-autoloads ledger-mode-autoloads
rrr-async-autoloads with-editor-autoloads auth-source-pass-autoloads
password-store-autoloads eimp-autoloads dired-hacks-autoloads
ebdb-autoloads eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs ibuffer-vc-autoloads
nameless-autoloads wgrep-autoloads rrr-rg-autoloads inheritenv-autoloads
envrc-autoloads ctable-autoloads rrr-try-autoloads
rrr-al-scheme-autoloads rrr-rmsbolt-autoloads rrr-keycast-autoloads
shut-up-autoloads loop-autoloads list-utils-autoloads cl-loaddefs cl-lib
s-autoloads f-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads rrr-helpful-autoloads
rrr-mood-line-autoloads rrr-consult-dir-autoloads rrr-consult-autoloads
avy-autoloads rrr-embark-autoloads rrr-eglot-autoloads
rrr-reverse-im-autoloads ov-autoloads rrr-hide-lines-autoloads
rrr-syslog-mode-autoloads rrr-insert-kaomoji-autoloads
rrr-fnhh-autoloads rrr-russian-holidays-autoloads
rrr-sourcehut-autoloads av-autoloads pcmpl-args-autoloads srfi-autoloads
dash-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads guix-emacs seq gv subr-x byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv early-init xdg iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 792917 282040)
 (symbols 48 63299 35)
 (strings 32 200226 194621)
 (string-bytes 1 6884798)
 (vectors 16 113132)
 (vector-slots 8 1941153 69030)
 (floats 8 614 1543)
 (intervals 56 14470 647)
 (buffers 992 41))

-- 

Aleksandr Vityazev