Subject: [BUG] Multiple Packages Failing to Build

From: Christopher Rodriguez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 08:53:23 -0500

Hey Maxime,

The let form was mostly included because, if possible, we should pull 
the value of `beets-python-version` from the version of python used for 
beets (because this implementation currently relies on a hardcoded and 
versioned library path in `lib/python3.9/site-packages`, it will require 
maintenance that could otherwise be avoided if we pulled the version 
from python directly.

However, I don't know how to do that, or if that is possible. If it's 
not something easily doable, then I will remove the let form for now, 
and see about improving it in the future.

As for the issue of other python libraries possibly polluting the beets 
install, AFAIK beets looks for a folder named `beetsplug` in the 
PYTHONPATH and only considers files beneath it. I think we can safely 
avoid isolating the beets plugins; Whether this is the route Guix wants 
to go is something I think should ideally be standardized across all 
packages if possible (maybe an email thread on guix-devel?), because the 
main channel as a whole will be more maintainable if we can come to some 
kind of agreement.

Let me know what You think.

--

Christopher Rodriguez