Subject: Re: bug#52684: [BUG] Multiple Packages Failing to Build

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 10:29:48 +0000

Christopher Rodriguez schreef op ma 27-12-2021 om 13:18 [-0500]:
+      (native-search-paths
+       ;; XXX: Attempting to use (package-native-search-paths python)
here would
+       ;; cause an error about python being an unbound variable in the
+       ;; tests. Instead, we set and use an explicit python version.

This error doesn't have anything to do with profiles, but with import
cycles between modules and native-search-paths not being thunked.

+       (list
+        (search-path-specification
+         (variable "GUIX_BEETSPLUGINPATH")
+         (separator #f)
+         (files (list (string-append "lib/python" beets-python-version
"/site-packages"))))))

A downside of this approach, is that 'GUIX_BEETSPLUGINPATH' would
include unrelated python libraries. I don't know if this would be an
actual problem in practice. This could be resolved by installing beets
libraries to a non-standard location, say
"lib/beets-dependencies/site-packages".

The 'python-build-system' probably won't expect this, but that could be
resolved by adding things from "lib/beets-dependencies/site-packages"
to 'GUIX_PYTHONPATH' in a build phase.

Greetings,
Maxime