Subject: bug#52682: closed (Re: bug#52682: installer freezes when ci.guix.gnu.org cannot be reached)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 13:40:03 +0000

Your bug report

#52682: installer freezes when ci.guix.gnu.org cannot be reached

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52682: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52682
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52682: installer freezes when ci.guix.gnu.org cannot be reached
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 14:39:01 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> There's a proposed patch here: 5bc897e0496ff415e653c509ca3b68466e0ed771.

Pushed as ee897e5f51104f41b3c2a0c2cbc7eb4e6c1e4d3e. The core issue
remains, but the installer won't let you install if ci.guix.gnu.org
cannot be reached, preventing the freeze.

I think we can close this one, as the freeze issue is now reported here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52845.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: installer freezes when ci.guix.gnu.org cannot be reached
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 18:13:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Today I got another chance to try the installer.  I first used the
latest installer image from today (which failed to install Guix because
of a test failure) and then fell back to the 1.3.0 installer image.

Both installers had the same behavior when it came to accessing
ci.guix.gnu.org for substitutes.  I ran the installer on a new build
node, which cannot access ci.guix.gnu.org through the public IP
address.  I forgot to add a line to /etc/hosts to resolve
ci.guix.gnu.org to the local IP.  When I started the installation it
would print two lines and then seemingly freeze.

There was no timeout either.  When the installer is killed and restarted
it fails with other errors that I didn’t record.  I had to reboot and
remember to make the change to /etc/hosts first before starting the
installation.

-- 
Ricardo