Subject: bug#52678: sway unable to start Xwayland

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 00:04:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021, Jack Hill wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> With Guix 11334d15d590073c631c574436d2110aa1ea2142, sway is not able to start 
> Xwayland. I believe that is was working correctly for me at commit 
> d627fbad8f4e157103251b07d7543dd2f5647cea.
>
> Running sway manually from a VT, I was able to capture the following 
> messages:
>
> ```
> 00:00:00.002 [wlr] [libseat] [libseat/backend/seatd.c:78] Could not connect 
> to socket /run/seatd.sock: No such file or directory
> 00:00:00.084 [wlr] [xwayland/sockets.c:99] /tmp/.X11-unix not owned by root 
> ```

And, had I thought about the above messages more, I would have looked at 
the ownership of /tmp/.X11-unix initially. I've now done so and found out 
that it was owned by gdm. The weird bit is though that I had previously 
run `herd stop xorg-server` and there were not gdm processes running, and 
loginctl reported no gdm sessions.

Anyways, I don't think the commits above are particularly relevant. I'll 
go ahead and re-title the issue.

Best,
Jack