Subject: bug#52655: 29.0.50 pgtk bug on X Window.

From: Moen Jim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 11:17:32 +0000

I compared the two versions of emacs.
a) From ArchLinuxCN
   PKGBUILD:
   https://github.com/archlinuxcn/repo/blob/master/archlinuxcn/emacs-native-comp-git/

b) From AUR (--with-pgtk)
   PKGBUILD:
   https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/emacs-native-comp-git-enhanced/

the pgtk version may have some bug:
when I use systemd user unit to start the daemon.

`````

[Unit]
Description=Emacs text editor
Documentation=info:emacs man:emacs(1) https://gnu.org/software/emacs/

[Service]
Type=simple
Environment=DISPLAY=:%i
Environment="LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8" "XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx"
ExecStart=/usr/bin/emacs --fg-daemon -Q
ExecStop=/usr/bin/emacsclient --eval "(kill-emacs)"
ExecReload=/usr/bin/emacsclient --eval "(restart-emacs)"
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

`````

the client may think it's in a terminal, and can't get "C-;" key sequence.
All got was ";"

But "C-;" works as normal if it was started by '/usr/bin/emacs --fg-daemon'.

And the following Environment got by systemd user unit with
`
ExecStart=/usr/bin/emacs --fg-daemon -Q
`

#####

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-12-19 built
Repository revision: 579d7c20da5406575e087e4e8cb0a5621d28037b
Repository branch: makepkg
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-pgtk --enable-autodepend
 --with-native-compilation --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d
 --with-sound=alsa --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection --ld-path=/usr/bin/mold'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/obsolete/eieio-compat

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils face-remap shortdoc text-property-search seq gv subr-x
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv help-fns radix-tree help-mode
cl-loaddefs cl-lib server china-util iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79381 7585)
 (symbols 48 7055 0)
 (strings 32 22379 1956)
 (string-bytes 1 744365)
 (vectors 16 15659)
 (vector-slots 8 377028 11714)
 (floats 8 77 30)
 (intervals 56 488 0)
 (buffers 992 14))