Subject: bug#52605: [PATCH] Add isearch-emoji-by-name

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 22:56:29 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Daniel Martín <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> With this patch, during an incremental search, if you press 'C-x 8 e
>> RET', it will ask you for an Emoji character by name and insert it into
>> the search string.  A prefix argument N will insert N copies of the
>> character.
>
> Makes sense to me.
>
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Btw, the same problem exists in doc strings in emoji.el.  I tried to
>> improve that yesterday, but it sounds like I understood the "name"
>> part incorrectly, so it will need another round of changes.
>
> The names are from Unicode, but are from a separate data source than the
> "official" ones, if I understand it correctly.  See
> admin/unidata/emoji-test.txt.
>
> And I don't think we need to specify what these names are, and we
> certainly don't need to mention CLDR.

How should I update my patch? It's not clear to me if there is a
decision about how to change the wording of the Emoji prompts.

Also, I forgot to ask in my original message: Is there a plan to add an
Emoji input method to Emacs? If so, the input method could be used
during an isearch and this patch won't be necessary, right? Another
benefit of the input method is that it will work in other situations as
well, like in a query-replace.