Subject: Re: bug#52605: [PATCH] Add isearch-emoji-by-name

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:47:48 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 01:48:31 +0100
>> 
>> > Likewise here, the doc string should clarify what kind of names are
>> > acceptable.  I would also mention that completion is provided while
>> > typing the name.
>> 
>> If I'm not mistaken, what the new emoji-search command accepts is
>> technically the CLDR short name of an Emoji.  As the term is a bit
>> obscure, I've added a few examples to the documentation.
>
> I think examples are good, but they are not enough.  We should point
> to the document which defines these names somewhere, I guess in the
> manual.  Where did you see that terminology ("CLDR names"), and what
> is the definitive document for it?

I took the term from the Unicode website:
https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html (last column).
Those are the strings that emoji-search autocompletes.

>
> Btw, the same problem exists in doc strings in emoji.el.  I tried to
> improve that yesterday, but it sounds like I understood the "name"
> part incorrectly, so it will need another round of changes.
>

I see your point, but I don't know a better term to refer to an "Emoji
name".  I think people using other platforms with Emoji support, like a
mobile phone, are used to type things like "grinning face" in a text box
and see the corresponding Emoji suggestion to replace the text with,
right in the phone's keyboard.

Linking to https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html from
the docstring (if the information there is considered stable) might be a
good idea.