Subject: bug#52605: [PATCH] Add isearch-emoji-by-name

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:10:41 +0100

Daniel Martín <[email-masked]> writes:

> With this patch, during an incremental search, if you press 'C-x 8 e
> RET', it will ask you for an Emoji character by name and insert it into
> the search string.  A prefix argument N will insert N copies of the
> character.

Makes sense to me.

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Btw, the same problem exists in doc strings in emoji.el.  I tried to
> improve that yesterday, but it sounds like I understood the "name"
> part incorrectly, so it will need another round of changes.

The names are from Unicode, but are from a separate data source than the
"official" ones, if I understand it correctly.  See
admin/unidata/emoji-test.txt.

And I don't think we need to specify what these names are, and we
certainly don't need to mention CLDR.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no