Subject: Re: bug#52605: [PATCH] Add isearch-emoji-by-name

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 08:53:35 +0200

> From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 01:48:31 +0100
> 
> > Likewise here, the doc string should clarify what kind of names are
> > acceptable.  I would also mention that completion is provided while
> > typing the name.
> 
> If I'm not mistaken, what the new emoji-search command accepts is
> technically the CLDR short name of an Emoji.  As the term is a bit
> obscure, I've added a few examples to the documentation.

I think examples are good, but they are not enough.  We should point
to the document which defines these names somewhere, I guess in the
manual.  Where did you see that terminology ("CLDR names"), and what
is the definitive document for it?

> And now 'C-x 8 e s' prompts with:
> 
>   Insert emoji (CLDR short name):

Is the "short" part necessary?  It immediately begs the question "how
does that differ from a long name?"

Btw, the same problem exists in doc strings in emoji.el.  I tried to
improve that yesterday, but it sounds like I understood the "name"
part incorrectly, so it will need another round of changes.

Thanks.