Subject: bug#52591: downloading from software archives as default even if version is wrong

From: Andy Tai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:40:45 -0800

I was trying to update a package.   I updated the package definition:

---patch--
diff --git a/gnu/packages/mono.scm b/gnu/packages/mono.scm
index 6a7afbafbf..9eeb46ef16 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/mono.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/mono.scm
@@ -38,7 +38,7 @@ (define-module (gnu packages mono)
 (define-public mono
   (package
     (name "mono")
-    (version "4.4.1.0")
+    (version "4.8.1")
     (source (origin
               (method url-fetch)
               (uri (string-append
--end of patch--

which at this time shall fail as I have not updated the hash checksum.  If I do

 ./pre-inst-env guix build  -k -K   mono

that actually succeeded but it shall have failed.

This log fragment show what happened:

----log fragment--
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/cdqqdalqwl3m9bhnfyb0v6nfkzvfj0x1-mono-4.8.1.drv
   /gnu/store/qs8jgc33jpwwmzq7ppdiv49qll6q32sl-mono-4.8.1.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/6aih7gpx3p1dpsbdhkri7mk3qqnqkk9x-mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2.drv
building /gnu/store/6aih7gpx3p1dpsbdhkri7mk3qqnqkk9x-mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2.drv...

Starting download of
/gnu/store/l6309vrm95cwpmcwgjj5xgdddp6vfly5-mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2
>From http://download.mono-project.com/sources/mono/mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2...
following redirection to
`https://download.mono-project.com/sources/mono/mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2'...
download failed
"https://download.mono-project.com/sources/mono/mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2"
404 "Not Found"

Starting download of
/gnu/store/l6309vrm95cwpmcwgjj5xgdddp6vfly5-mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2
>From https://ci.guix.gnu.org/file/mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2/sha256/0jibyvyv2jy8dq5ij0j00iq3v74r0y90dcjc3dkspc
fbnn37cphn...
download failed
"https://ci.guix.gnu.org/file/mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2/sha256/0jibyvyv2jy8dq5ij0j00iq3v74r0y
90dcjc3dkspcfbnn37cphn" 404 "Not Found"

Starting download of
/gnu/store/l6309vrm95cwpmcwgjj5xgdddp6vfly5-mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2
>From https://tarballs.nixos.org/sha256/0jibyvyv2jy8dq5ij0j00iq3v74r0y90dcjc3dkspcfbnn37cphn...
download failed
"https://tarballs.nixos.org/sha256/0jibyvyv2jy8dq5ij0j00iq3v74r0y90dcjc3dkspcfbnn37cph
n" 404 "Not Found"

Starting download of
/gnu/store/l6309vrm95cwpmcwgjj5xgdddp6vfly5-mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2
>From https://archive.softwareheritage.org/api/1/content/sha256:165e7686b5cbb1ab671b4cb2069207999c3d700
44002190b6ec84bb1fdf62b4a/raw/...
downloading from
https://archive.softwareheritage.org/api/1/content/sha256:165e7686b5cbb1ab671b4cb2069
207999c3d70044002190b6ec84bb1fdf62b4a/raw/ ...
............
successfully built
/gnu/store/6aih7gpx3p1dpsbdhkri7mk3qqnqkk9x-mono-4.8.1.tar.bz2.drv
building /gnu/store/qs8jgc33jpwwmzq7ppdiv49qll6q32sl-mono-4.8.1.tar.xz.drv...
mono-4.4.1/
mono-4.4.1/test-driver
mono-4.4.1/support/
mono-4.4.1/support/syslog.c
mono-4.4.1/support/supportw.h
....

--end of log fratgment--

as seen above, somehow the old version was downloaded from a cached
copy at softwareheritage archives, and it proceeds to build.   This
should not proceed but fail for wrong checksum.