Subject: Re: bug#52588: A linter & styler for %outputs -> #$output:...?

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:16:21 +0100

Hi,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Alternatively, %outputs (& friends?) could be re-introduced,
> albeit with #$output and #$(this-package-input ...) being strongly
> preferred above %outputs & %build-inputs & friends.
>
> Reintroducing %build-inputs/%build-target-inputs/... could help with
> the ‘how do I refer to implicit build inputs from #:configure-flags’
> issues that have been cropping up.

Yes, the intent was to still provide ‘%build-inputs’ & co. for backward
compatibility.

There are a few build systems where these variables seemed to be mostly
unused already, so I didn’t bother reintroducing them; that’s the case
of ‘qt-build-system’ and ‘julia-build-system’, for instance.  But these
are the exception.

In the case of meson cross-compilation, it was an oversight.

Ludo’.