Subject: bug#52580: 29.0.50; emoji-insert: no male/female alternatives available

From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:19:15 -0500

The emoji menus from `C-x 8 e e' don't appear to give the option to add
male or female modifiers. 

Example:

C-x 8 e e
p g a

This gives a list based on the character PERSON FROWNING and offers the
various Fitzpatrick skin type options but offers no gender options.

This appears to be due to a discrepancy in the `emoji--derived' data.
The male/female variants exist, but they are indexed on the male
version.  For example:

	       "🙍"
	       ("🙍🏻" "🙍🏼" "🙍🏽" "🙍🏾" "🙍🏿")
	       "🙍‍♂️"
	       ("🙍🏻‍♂️" "🙍🏼‍♂️" "🙍🏽‍♂️" "🙍🏾‍♂️" "🙍🏿‍♂️" "🙍‍♀️" "🙍🏻‍♀️" "🙍🏼‍♀️" "🙍🏽‍♀️" "🙍🏾‍♀️" "🙍🏿‍♀️")

These two lines from emoji-labels.el show the various PERSON FROWNING
variants.  The base ones are indexed on PERSON FROWNING, but the
gendered variants are indexed on "man frowning".

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-12-15 built on miko
Repository revision: 2893cb6a21af3384cf5d6dc2b6bbdd5ebba8e1ad
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail gnus-fun mule-util sort gnus-cite mail-extr
gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic cursor-sensor
nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 epa-file network-stream gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg
gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo gnutls gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud gnus-spec gnus-win flyspell ispell view pacproxy descr-text
cus-edit pp cus-load time sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login
sasl-plain rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util sgml-mode facemenu dom
python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp ps-print ps-print-loaddefs
ps-def lpr picture nm dbus xml magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode
diff diff-mode easy-mmode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete server
magit-mode transient comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra edmacro kmacro
help-mode format-spec magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash
nnimap nnmail gnus-int gnus-range mail-source message yank-media rfc822
mml mml-sec epa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader utf7 netrc nnoo gnus wid-edit nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs time-date mail-utils gnus-o365-oauth2 oauth2 url-http
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny plstore generated generic-x epg rfc6068
epg-config ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util dired-x dired dired-loaddefs compile
text-property-search comint ring ansi-color cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs derived
debian-el info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])