Subject: Re: bug#52560: Profiles don't survive roundtrips via files

From: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:03:27 +0100

On the right is the original profile, on the left it is after a round-trip
via file (save/restore). Node "#<compiled -0xd1347ae057bdde2>" is now
displayed twice, even though profile contents is supposed to be exactly the
same.

Disregard ugly fonts etc. I just started this Docker image:
https://github.com/Silex/docker-emacs/blob/master/master/debian/Dockerfile.
Version is reported as GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X
toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 at 13:30, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > You need any profile that involves unnamed byte-compiled functions,
> > i.e. lambda in code. Also, not as leaves, they must call other
> > functions, because the problem appears when merging profile backtraces
> > with this, i.e. there must be several.  Maybe "default" backtrace of
> > running Emacs in 28 and up doesn't include those, but I'm pretty sure
> > unnamed functions could not just disappear.
>
> When "doing whatever" includes doing a completing-read, I get some
> #<compiled> things...  but after following your recipe, I'm still not
> sure I understand what the problem is.  Can you include some screenshots
> of the good display and the bad display?
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no
>