Subject: bug#52559: guix pull fails with `Unknown command: nix fish: nix show-derivation "~/.fr-sqOEpp/....-module-import-compiled.drv"

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 21:13:44 +0000

Grigory Shepelev schreef op do 16-12-2021 om 23:49 [+0300]:
> > fish: Unknown command: nix
> > fish:
> > nix show-derivation "/home/shegeley/.cache/.fr-
> > sqOEpp/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-compiled.drv"
> 
> IS in fact the contents of
> /var/log/guix/drvs/6r/273vsd5gv1ch73ayih504s5wcxvysq-module-import-
> compiled.drv.bz2.

This is very weird, because:

1. what's a derivation doing in $HOME?
2. This would mean that, while compiling some guile modules, fish is
invoked and fish is calling nix. But nix and fish are not involved at
all when compiling guile modules. (The only mention of 'fish' in the
source code is in shell completions.)
3. How did $HOME get leaked to the builder?
4. How did 'show-derivation' appear in the builder? There's no mention
of 'show-derivation' anywhere in guix' source code.

Greetings,
Maxime.