Subject: bug#52558: Option for easier typing of regexps

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 05:11:32 +1300

On 2021-12-20 03:08, ndame wrote:
> Why would it create confusion if it's an option which the
> user has to enable explicitly?

If the user is (a) well aware of the change they've made (not
blindly copying it from somewhere else), and (b) have a good
understanding of regexp syntax and/or the documentation such
that they won't be asking anyone questions about regexps, then
it shouldn't cause them any confusion.

OTOH for someone who (a) doesn't have a strong understanding of
Emacs regexp syntax; (b) is more familiar with other dialects
with fewer backslashes; (c) enables the hypothetical option to
make things seem more familiar but still doesn't entirely know
what they're doing; and (d) asks questions or searches for pre-
existing Q&As to figure out how to construct their regexp...
I think there's ample opportunity for crossed wires on both
sides of any ensuing interactions, and pre-existing information
will likely not match the syntax that they have chosen.

To me it feels like the kind of option which would be more
likely to be preferred by people who are less familiar with
Emacs regexp syntax, in which case the likelihood of confusion
probably increases.

I'm just speculating, though.

-Phil