Subject: bug#52558: Option for easier typing of regexps

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:56:03 +0100

ndame <[email-masked]> writes:

> I use query replace regexp a lot, as I imagine other people do, and I
> always found that typing capturing groups and alternation is clumsy,
> because they have to be escaped, and they are the ones  needed
> most often: \(...\) \|
>
> There could be a user option to make these easier to type by providing
> a variable which controls which characters need escaping in
> interactive mode, so the user could list those characters for which
> the escaping rules are reversed when typing in the regexp replace
> prompt.

I think it would be really confusing to have a different regexp syntax
when prompting interactively to when you're writing code, so I don't
think this would be a good idea.  Anybody else have a different opinion?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no