Subject: Re: [bug#52555] [RFC PATCH v2 0/5] Decentralized substitute distribution with ERIS

From: pukkamustard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 09:56:50 +0000

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> pukkamustard schreef op di 25-01-2022 om 19:21 [+0000]:
>> I will be looking into the HTTP fallback and also using BitTorrent and GNUNet
>> as transports.
>
> I have been writing a (Guile) Scheme port of GNUnet's client libraries
> (https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet-scheme.git/).  Currently only NSE is
> supported, but I'm working on DHT.  DHT search/put already works to a
> degree (see examples/web.scm), but there are plenty of sharp edges
> (see TODOs about disconnecting, reconnecting and stopping fibers,
> and see guix.scm for Guile bugs that are patched out and extra guile-
> fibers features).

Very interesting! I have been following your work on that a bit.

>From what I understand gnunet-scheme interacts with the GNUNet services
and sends messages to the various GNUNet services. Is that correct?

Have you considered implementing the GNUNet protocols themeselves in
Guile? I.e. instead of connecting with the GNUNet services and sending
messages, implement R5N completely in Guile. IMHO this would be very
nice as one could use GNUNet protocols completely in Guile and not rely
on the GNUNet C code.

I believe this is somewhat the direction being taken with the GNUNet Go
implementation (https://github.com/bfix/gnunet-go) and also in line with
recent efforts to specify the individual GNUNet components and protocols
more independantly of one another (e.g. R5N is specified to work over IP
- https://lsd.gnunet.org/lsd0004/).

-pukkamustard