Subject: bug#52542: 29.0.50; Emoji makes lines taller

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:57:54 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Emacs displays the line as tall as needed for the tallest character
> shown on that line.  This is normal, and not a bug.
>
>> 3. delete the alien
>> 
>> Actual: the line with "bar" becomes less tall
>> 
>> Expected: all lines always have constant height
>
> Your expectations are unfounded, IMO.  Emacs cannot possibly change
> the fonts you have on your system, and cannot truncate glyphs of the
> Emoji characters if they are taller than the font used for the default
> face.  So it has no alternative but to make the line's height larger.

Interesting.  I based my expectation on the built-in Terminal
application on macOS.  It uses the same default font as Emacs, yet
emojis do not change the height of its lines.

> The only solution to that could be if you configure the fonts
> installed on your system to have a font which supports Emoji and whose
> height is not larger than that of the font used for the default face.

Cannot Emacs, when defaulting to "Apple Color Emoji", make the emojis a
bit smaller?  Terminal seems to do that.

> Bottom line is: I don't see how this is an Emacs bug nor how to solve
> this in Emacs.

As Apple often says in their keynotes, "Only Apple can do that." :)

Rudy

-- 
"Logic is a science of the necessary laws of thought, without which no
employment of the understanding and the reason takes place." -- Immanuel
Kant, 1785

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia