Subject: Re: bug#5253: 23.1.90; --without-dbus fails

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 14:00:10 +0100

Peter Dyballa skrev:
> Hello!
> 
> When configuring  --without-dbus  this fails, because GConf is used and 
> it has:
> 

AFAIK, nothing "fails".  Emacs still runs doesn't it?  without-dbus does not 
mean "under no circumstances link with -ldbus", it means "do not compile in an 
elisp dbus interface into Emacs".

We can't be expected to keep track of every library requierd by libraries for 
every distribution thet Emacs uses and give configure switches to compile 
without them.  It is too much work to figure out if --without-xxx implies 
--without-yyy on OS ZZZ using PanPorts version 3.5.1.  If GConf requires dbus, 
we can't simply remove it, GConf wouldn't link then.  FWIW, dbus is not 
usually a requirement for GConf (i.e. normal GNU/LInux os), I guess 
Fink/MacPorts descided to make it so.

Some configure switches leads to a library not being linked, but those are the 
simple cases.

This is not a bug at all, it is expected behaviour.

	Jan D.