Subject: inconstency with offloading

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:02:52 +0100

Hi,

The manual provides [1] the example:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
      (build-machine
        (name "armeight.example.org")
        (systems (list "aarch64-linux"))
        (host-key "ssh-rsa AAAAB3Nza…")
        (user "alice")
        (private-key
         (string-append (getenv "HOME")
                        "/.ssh/identity-for-guix")))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but what is not clear is 'getenv' from who.  Concretly, adding 'pk' it
reads:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix offload test

;;; ("/home/simon")
guix offload: testing 2 build machines defined in '/etc/guix/machines.scm'...
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

however, when really building with offload:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix build -L /tmp/mine r-cipr
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/mzixy5hhx79xx33k03acaasml87c0knc-r-cipr-0.1.0-1.4b01bb8.drv

;;; ("/root")
process 6815 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/x.x.x.x:22/0'
process 6815 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/x.x.x.x:22/0'
normalized load on machine 'x.x.x.x' is 0.00
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

"guix offload tes" does the correct thing, not "guix build".

Cheers,
simon

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Daemon-Offload-Setup>